School Called Off Due to Water Safety

School was cancelled for USD 394 on Monday, October 22 due to a water safety concern after an outage earlier in the morning.

USD 394 cancelled school at 8:10 a.m. on Monday October, 22 due to a water outage in the city, which occurred a little after 6 a.m. Kids Club and Butler County classes at the high school were also cancelled.

Water slowly returned to parts of the town in the morning, but the Kansas Department of Health and Environment had safety concerns over the water, which then prompted the cancellation of school.

“To have students (at school) when there is no water for the day is not a workable situation (for the district),” Assistant Principal, Brad Keirns said in a message sent to district staff, students and parents. “We feel this was in the best interest of the students.”

A schedule for dismissal of the students was created by the district office staff shortly before 8 a.m., which led to the high school students being dismissed first at 8:15. The bus routes also returned students back to their homes.

At this time, it has not been determined if school will be in session on Tuesday, October 23.