Here’s to the last four years

I joined Rocket Productions my freshman year when I signed up for a class called “Digital Media Design”. I then found out it was The Rocket Press. 

I didn’t really know what that was and if I’d enjoy it, but I was reassured by the counselor that I could change it within the first few days of the year if I didn’t like it. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I had transferred out of that class. 

But I stayed for four years. And I’m glad I did. 

I quickly started to realize that I really did enjoy writing. I had been told in middle school by a few teachers that I was a good writer and should pursue it, but I never really thought much of it. I was involved in other things like sports, specifically volleyball, that took up a lot of my time. 

I figured even though it was something I was good at, if I didn’t have a passion for it, then I wasn’t really interested in going any further with it than just writing papers for classes. 

My sophomore year, after getting closer with Mr. Browning and students in news magazine, I was urged to join Video Production, the Channel 7 News class. 

There were many seniors that year that were so good at what they did, I felt like I couldn’t get up to that level, leading me to drop the class the following year. After my junior year, I decided to return to Channel 7, being affirmed that my abilities were enough and that I would add to the staff. 

When I was a freshman, I had no clue the opportunities this class would bring to me. I didn’t know if I would stay, but now I’m writing my last story for the Rocket Press as a senior and Editor-in-Chief. I also never would’ve imagined the importance that Mr. Browning would have in my life. 

My relationship with my father has always been complicated and back and forth. But with Mr. Browning, his care for me as a student has always been constant. He’s offered me advice, whether I wanted to hear it or not. I’ve laughed with him, cried to him, been mad at him, etc. 

Even through all of those emotions, he’s always been there for me like a father figure should. I will forever be grateful to him for showing me that there are so many people who care about me and would help me with anything I asked for. 

So as much as being in his classes have taught me about technical things like writing a correct story in correct formatting, writing script for a show, interviewing people professionally, or producing a video story accurately, the most important thing he has taught me is that there are people in this world I can depend on, and it doesn’t matter if they’re my biological family or some random teacher at my high school who simply cares about his students. 

All I have left to say is thank you. Thank you, Mr. Browning, for helping shape me into the person I am today. Thank you for the life lessons, the jokes, the seriousness, the advice, and everything in between. Thank you Rocket Productions. Here’s to the last four years.