Shelman to retire after 40-year career

Sydney Shelman has been a teacher for 40 years and 36 of those years have been at Rose Hill High School. She has taught several of the business classes at the school. 

But Shelman will be retiring once the school year ends.

“I’ve been so blessed to have so many special students over the years. It’s cool to have students of students (parents then their children) I’ve had,” said Shelman. “It’s amazing watching my students grow up to be adults and see the impact they make in their community and in their profession.”

Shelman was involved in several activities and clubs over her time at RHHS. She was the cheer sponsor for three years, STUCO sponsor for five years, and senior sponsor for 13 years. 

She has also helped with FBLA, a Renaissance sponsor, Scholar’s Bowl, and coached freshmen girls basketball. She has also worked the  scorebook for 20 years for volleyball, and also 26 years for basketball. 

“A small town and school gives students the opportunity to be involved in clubs and sports to make lifelong memories,” said Shelman. “Then watching my students grow in their extracurricular activity and to see them have success.”

Shelman enjoys seeing students grow, change, and have success. From the start of their freshman year, all the way to their senior year.

After retiring she hopes to travel, work in her flowerbeds, visit friends out of state and catch up on some reading. 

“One more thing–I’ve taught with some really good teachers over the years and am thankful for learning from them, their dedication and professionalism and the role model many of them served for me,” said Shelman. “I have so many special memories at RHHS.”