New academy coming to Rose Hill Butler campus

Ryan Hill

The current Rose Hill High School shop will have a Butler County addition in the future.

Plans for a new wing are being drawn up for more Butler County Community College programs, as well as a workshop for the high school woodshop programs. 

“Butler County Community College is setting up a construction academy in the new addition,” Rose Hill High School Industrial Technology teacher Ryan Hill said. “There is a possibility that our shop will be added in there too.” 

The information was presented to the USD 394 School Board on September 14.

“The advisory committee has been meeting for several months to develop the plan for the Academy, and the Kansas Board of Regents has approved the program curriculum.

At their meeting, the Trustees also approved the program for implementation.,” said Superintendent Randal Chickadonz in the letter. “The plan is to build a new building space at the east end of the high school wing to house the Academy program and also space to be used by our high school woods program.” 

The new building will house equipment that will be funded by the Butler County Community College programs. Though students and staff of the workshop class do not know much about the new building yet, it is clear that anticipation is in the air.

“I’m excited to see the new plans drawn up,” Hill goes on to say, “I think a new shop where we have space to operate in is wanted and warranted.”